It’s no secret that I love body-weight exercises, especially when no special equipment is needed. Don’t be fooled by what appears to be a simple movement.
Targeted Muscles: hamstrings, glutes, quadriceps, core, hip flexor and lower back.
How to Perform a Genie Sit:
- Place a mat on the ground and place knees shoulder-to-hip width apart on it with your feet behind you.
- Cross your arms in front of you so that your hands are on your opposite shoulders. Cross your arms onto opposite shoulders and lift your elbows up to shoulder height.
- Keep your upper body straight and contract your glutes and hamstrings. Slowly lean backwards, bending at the knees.
- Only go back as far as you are comfortable and then using your quad and glute muscles, pull yourself back up.
- Visualize a line that connects the knee, hip, shoulder, and ear to maintain proper upper body form.
- Only lean back as far as proper form can be maintained.
Inhale: Isometric hold of the core and glutes as you lean backward.
Exhale: Lean forward to return to start.